The Data Protection Office plays a central role in ensuring high standards of data protection in all the EPO’s internal and external relationships and in the accountable processing of personal data. It is set to become even more important in view of the digital transformation now underway and the upcoming comprehensive modernisation of the EPO’s DP framework.
We are currently looking for a lawyer to join our team. We are particularly interested in candidates who thrive in an informal but professional working environment, in which the sharing of information and a proactive approach is appreciated. If you enjoy engaging constructively with colleagues and stakeholders, based on our principles of integrity, impartiality, transparency and pragmatism, we would like to hear from you.
With us you will:
- conduct legal analyses and provide advice on legal matters, especially in relation to the interpretation and implementation of the EPO Data Protection Rules and associated texts, and European and international data protection legislation
- revise and/or draft documentation related to privacy and data protection, such as data processing agreements, privacy and security risk assessments, data protection impact assessments
- conduct risk assessment activities in relation to the processing of personal data, prepare documentation on personal data breach management and reporting; advise on the methodology to be used and contribute to selecting safeguards to be applied to prevent and mitigate the risks to the rights and freedoms of the data subjects
- contribute to creating awareness and training initiatives and communication measures, and provide legal support to internal advisory bodies and external stakeholders
Apply if you have:
- knowledge and at least two years of experience in data protection law or privacy law or relevant legal fields
- sound analytical skills and experience of drafting legal opinions and legislation
- excellent written and verbal communication skills and the ability to present complex issues in an easily understandable manner
- ability to work effectively and accurately to strict deadlines with a strong drive for results
- a high degree of commitment and a proactive approach
- ability to work both independently and collaboratively as part of a team
- very good organisational and planning skills
- experience of working in an international environment
- experience in dispute resolution, litigation and/or arbitration; experience working for a data protection authority would be an asset
- Diploma of completed studies at master’s level or – in exceptional cases – equivalent professional experience
- Excellent knowledge (at least C1) of one official language (English, French and German) and the ability to understand the other two; in exceptional cases, excellent knowledge (at least C1) of one official language and working knowledge (at least B2) of another (in such cases, the willingness to learn the third language and to reach level B2 within a set time frame would be required)
- Citizenship of one of the member states of the European Patent Organisation
Job group: 4
Grade: G7 to G10 (net (basic) monthly salary* for this vacancy: EUR 5 900 to 8 300, depending on experience)
Duration of contract: Five years
Career path: Technical
Application deadline: 19.04.2021
Interviews planned for: Calendar week 18
* after deduction of EPO-internal tax and before deduction of staff contributions to the social security and pension schemes.
Interested in this position?
We are happy to get in touch with you! You can send your application by using the “Apply” button.
We welcome all applications for vacant positions. We consider each on its professional merits – regardless of your nationality, ethnic origin, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, parental responsibilities, age, religion or belief.