Our Amsterdam office has been providing clients with the high-quality advice and legal insight for almost half a century. We combine the Firm’s global standards with our in-depth expertise and network in the Dutch market and abroad. We always strive to exceed the expectations of our clients, which include major tech companies, fintech’s, financial institutions, financial investors (which includes private equity and infrastructure investors), corporates from all sectors, governments, regulators, trade bodies and non-profit organisations.
The Compliance Manager is responsible for championing and leading the compliance function in the relevant office or country and being a trusted advisor to Partners, other fee earners and business professionals. With in-depth knowledge of the legal industry and the Firm’s priorities, as well as being expert in business support processes, the Compliance Manager will confidently manage and own the compliance program locally. This means liaising with our partners, managing associates, other fee earners, and business professionals with the drive and eagerness to understand and work together on the relevant rules and pro‑actively comply with them. You are a member of the local RCC, advise on and prepares the agenda of the local RCC. In your role you work closely together with the Compliance officer in your team.
- You have a leadership role within the firm and will identify compliance objectives for the Amsterdam office and lead the promotion and monitoring of compliance locally
- Design, develop and implement preventive monitoring mechanisms with respect to compliance objectives.
- Leading Amsterdam’s office efforts to create awareness of Clifford Chance global policies and procedures and provide compliance advice and guidance to partners, lawyers, and business professionals. This includes:
- Participating in the creation of and monitoring new global policies and actively promoting awareness of and compliance with new global policies in Amsterdam.
- Where applicable, designing local policies that align with global policies and liaising with the RHC, HIC and local RCC on any differences in local policies that may be required.
- Identifying and analyzing incidences of noncompliance and implementing rectification measures.
- Implement, operate, and develop the compliance management system for Amsterdam including mandatory risk and compliance training programs, considering specific local requirements and legislation.
- Together with the Compliance officer establishing and maintaining strong relationships with peers in the market and with the local regulators, including the Dutch bar, Amsterdam bar, KNB (notary) and NOB (tax advisors).
- Take responsibility for Data Privacy issues arising in the Netherlands including ensuring strict compliance with Data Privacy regulations.
- You have at least 7 years of relevant working experience and preferably previous experience as a Compliance professional or other experience relevant to the role and its key responsibilities.
- You have Dutch legal or professional compliance qualifications.
- You have a good understanding of local bar(s) regulations and law firms, including notary and tax advisors.
- Excellent understanding of local anti-money laundering, antibribery, data privacy and insider trading regulations.
- Experience in implementing internal policies and controls in relation to the above and are experienced in various levels of stakeholder management.
- Experience delivering compliance-related training.
What do we offer you?
- Flexible working conditions (hybrid – partially working from home and out of the office)
- Challenging and dynamic work in an open, down-to-earth working environment
- A leadership role with a direct line to our Office Managing Partner, General Manager and the Continental European Head of Compliance
- An energetic and dynamic office with growth opportunities in the region
To find out more
Interested? Please apply with your CV and cover letter. Any questions? Please contact Gabriella Khohonggiem (Talent Acquisition Manager) via firstname.lastname@example.org
At Clifford Chance we understand that our true asset is our people. We believe that each and every one of us should experience equality of opportunity and an equality of experience here. We are always working to develop and deliver the best and most innovative approaches to make that happen. Inclusion is good for our team and their families, our firm and society.
We are therefore committed to treating all employees and job applicants fairly and equally regardless of their gender, gender identity and expression, marital or civil partnership status, colour, national or ethnic origin, social or economic background, disability, religious belief, sexual orientation, or age. This applies to recruitment and selection, terms and conditions of employment including pay, promotion, training, transfer, and every other aspect of employment.
The firm will regularly review its procedures and selection criteria to ensure that individuals are selected, promoted and otherwise treated according to their relevant individual abilities and merits.
We have a number of initiatives and networks that support our aspiration to be the Global Law Firm of choice. Find out more here